For some, moving locations, homes, businesses, towns or even countries, can be a stressful and traumatic move. We assume that you’re leaving a little piece of your heart in wherever you live and it’s understandably hard to say goodbye to any chapter. Then, on the other hand, we have our friends who may have been racing out the door the second they knew that they had another place to live.
But, not so fast. We know that there are lots of exciting moments in your chapters ahead, but first, there is some work to be done. In order to not only do the right thing and leave your current homestead in its best state but also to maximize your return on investment, there is a little bit of a to-do list that you should follow. Restumping Melbourne has your one-stop guide to the things you’ll want to do before any move. Read on for more information:
- Put together a plan. Moving is no joke and there’s no reason to create your own stressful situations if you don’t have to. Whether you live alone or with a big family, have a meeting and discuss who is packing what and when, who is responsible for what chores, etc. Also, just make sure that you’re on the same page emotionally. Remember that you’re all in this together and if one of you gets annoyed, all of you will most likely quickly become frustrated.
- Book your removalist. Finding a moving company that you can trust and rely on is crucial to making sure your move goes smoothly. When you’re checking reviews, make sure you look at the bad ones, and the good ones. Even the best companies usually have a few bad reviews; look at how they responded and if they offered the customer anything as a resolution. If in doubt, trust your gut! There are plenty of great companies out there. Don’t risk it on someone who is cheap, you may end up paying more later on in damages to items.
- The almighty packing adventure. We recommend that you tackle organization and packing before you deep clean your property for a multitude of reasons, some of which can be really satisfying. Here’s betting that you find a valued object that’s been missing for many years, hidden deep behind a bed or a chair. Packing also helps you immediately de-clutter. It’s a well-known fact that moving is stressful and so if you don’t have a surefire reason to pack something, you might prefer to put it in the pile for ‘reduce, reuse, recycle.’
- Figure out where the aforementioned items are going. There are tonnes of options around the area. We’ve written about them before and will continue to do so on a regular basis. This is a much better way to allow your items to move on without continuing to any landfills.
- Finally, it’s time to deep clean. This is where the aforementioned plan comes in to play. When done right, you can rotate either through rooms, by person, or by task. There are no right or wrong answers, only what feels the most comfortable for you. All we ask is… don’t wing it. Checklists? Great. Tips in one common place? Yes. Communication at all times, including around which materials to use to clean? Bonus points.
All of these are just pieces of the puzzle in what truly should be one of the most exciting moves – no pun intended – of your life currently. While times may be unique right now, the Restumping Melbourne team will always be there for you and your loved ones, not just reinforcing the structure of your current or future home, but also always answering any questions you may have to make you feel safe and comfortable.