Q: What’s the difference between underpinning, reblocking and restumping?

Underpinning refers to the process of foundational repair and maintenance to a property built on a concrete slab foundation. Over the years, a slab will often sink in certain areas into the soil or clay beneath, requiring excavation and pumping concrete into the soft areas beneath the slab to level it back to normal.

Reblocking and restumping are terms used interchangeably, which refer to the process of foundational repair and maintenance to a house on stump foundations, rather than a concrete slab. Typically these houses are older style weatherboard houses and over time, certain stumps will sink into the ground beneath them due to the weight of the house above. The rate of sinking can vary greatly, but is often affected by the type of soil or clay beneath the home, which varies greatly across Melbourne’s suburbs. Also, wooden stumps can be affected by termites, insects and general wear and tear from the elements, which is why we usually replace the wooden stumps with concrete stumps. We also pump concrete beneath the stumps to a depth of 450mm into the ground, to ensure the house remains level for many, many years to come. This is why we have no hesitation in offering a 20 year guarantee on our work.

Q: How do I know if my home needs restumping or underpinning?

There are many tell tale signs of a house that requires some sort of foundational repair. The most obvious sign that a house is sinking is sloping floors, which will then create cracks in the plasterwork, doors not opening and closing properly, windows jamming and cracks in exterior brickwork particularly around window areas.

If you notice any of the signs above feel free to contact us for an obligation free opinion and inspection.

Q: Do you offer Guarantees on your work?

We offer 20 year guarantees on our work.

Q: Are you licensed and do you hold insurance?

Yes, we are a member of the:

Master Builders Association: 123746

Registered Building Practitioner: DBL 28187

And hold public liability insurance. Call us to see our up to date details.

Q: Which areas do you service?

We service all suburbs of Melbourne and country Victoria, including Geelong, Ballarat, Bendigo and other country centres.